Friday, 28 February 2014

The joy of sewing

This is a bit of an impromptu post.  Y'know how sometimes when you're sewing and you get something into you head and you just can't seem to get rid if it?  Well this post is the result of that today.
 
 
 
As of this year I'll have been sewing properly for 4 years.  In that time, I've gone from complete novice to somewhat confident and would consider myself to be an intermediate sew-er.  My sewing story can be read here, if you're interested, but that's not what I want to write about today.  What I want to talk about is (as my title suggests) the joy one gets from a finished sewing project.
 
Now most of the sewing I do these days is done fairly quickly and done mostly because that's how I want to get new garments.  This sometimes means that some projects are completed just to be completed and often to get them 'out the way' so I can start on the next.  But back when I started sewing, this was never the case.  I took my time with each project and although my initial garments were never perfect or finished with the same ability I have now, I was soo proud to have completed each one.  I took pride in wearing them and I told anyone who would listen that I had made it.  Don't get me started on how I felt when someone asked me where I got something I had made.  It was always such a great feeling completing something that I had made.  But then as I got 'better' at sewing I stopped seeing each garment as an achievement.  Gone were the days when I would run downstairs having made something to show whoever was in the house and the need to wear said garment the next day (yes even if it was totally non-daytime appropriate).
 
Yesterday I started a new project.  A project that I hadn't really planned but sort of just came about.  We'd got the fabric I used (a beautiful, soft, mint green wool) in work a few weeks ago and I knew I wanted to make some form of outerwear with it.  My initial plans quickly changed and I decided I wanted to re-make my favourite jacket (a biker) having seen a pastel one online somewhere.  I got all the right notions (metals zips x3 and hammer-in snap fasteners), the right pattern (Kwik Sew 3764) and I got to work.
 
The pattern required many different techniques, like zip, welt pockets, epaulettes, those hammer in snaps, open end zips, hand-stitching and I decided to fully line the jacket.  It was quite an involved project, so I took my time and treated it like one of those initial projects where I took time and care with each step.  And it felt like those early days again!  When I stitched the final hem in place, I genuinely felt such joy at completing my jacket.  I couldn't wait to wear it (and I did for a quick run to Tesco) and show it to anyone who would want to see it!

It felt really good to have that completion joy again.  And it's made me want to continue making projects like this.  I don't know everyone else's thoughts on this or if I'm alone in finding myself treating projects this way.  What are your thoughts on this?  :)

p.s. I'll be blogging the jacket soon, I still have a few projects to blog first though!

Follow on Bloglovin

6 comments:

  1. Oh, this is a fun post! I usually finish projects with a sense of regret over something that's not quite right, but I'm probably robbing myself of joy that way. I need to be more positive and appreciative when things go right! Also- MINT GREEN BIKER JACKET?! You would bring this up and NOT SHOW US?!?!?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you! We obviously sew because we enjoy doing it, but I think that conscious joy fades and as you say you find faults and it gets in the way. And sorry about bringing up my jacket and not sharing, I'll sort that soon! :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you for this post. I am a new sewist and have only been sewing since last August. I am still in that "look what I can do!" stage of things. Reading this makes me realize, I never want to change that. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you don't loose that feeling, cause it definitely makes your projects so much more special! :)

      Delete
  3. I still want to wear my makes immediately! but then I do that with things I buy too. But I do know what you mean about rushing to finish just to move onto the next thing. Sometimes instant gratification is what we need, but it's also good to invest time and energy into something. Glad you have that feeling back! And, yes, show us the jacket please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still get that way with new clothes but sometimes my sewing projects just make me kind of meh. I don't understand it! Ha and I think I'll need to skip my other planned posts and just post the jacket! :)

      Delete

Hi thanks for reading, I always love hearing from my readers so leave me a comment and I'll reply as soon as I can! :)