Sunday, 16 February 2014

A little about being an International Fashion Brander

Now I'm aware that seems like a grand title, however, simply put it's kind of my 'day job'.  I've noticed that over the past year or so there's been the 'oh I'm soooo busy with uni' theme popping up and it never occurred to me that you may be interested to hear a little about what I get up to!  But lately, I feel that I'm talking about my degree a lot.  Mostly due to the fact I'm in my final semester, looking for graduate jobs and trying to convince people they really want to employ me based on my degree.  Since I share one big part of my life on here, why not share the other?
 
As the title suggest, my degree is named International Fashion Branding, run by Glasgow Caledonian University.  We're the first group to do this specific degree as prior to 2010 it was known as Fashion Marketing.  Fundamentally we're still fashion marketers but we're doing new modules that look at the wider fashion industry including an internationalisation module this semester.  Over the past 4 years, I've studied varying modules from fashion specific and wider business classes (think economics, managerial finance, HR, buying and merchandising and so on).  Our fashion classes are very vocational.  Our assessments take the form of an essay followed by a more creative task that could be a marketing portfolio development, a presentation or some other relevant project.  We've been lucky to work with some 'real' brands on live projects and look into large businesses to do some analysis.

So far my favourite modules have been CAD based and our Strathberry collaboration last semester.  For the latter, we worked in groups and my group produced a short video to accompany our marketing presentation to the brand.  We also came up with a cupcake recipe as well as playing with some of the existing brand elements.  Here's the video we made, well when I say we, I really mean the very talented Tom Walker who's a friend of a friend.  We shot on location in Edinburgh and at the brand's store.  Our model is my best friend and fellow group member Sam.  Oh and we just happened to score 80% for this assessment, so we're very proud of this video!


I'd also like to share a few of my CAD boards.  I'm really pleased with these and got a 70% mark for this module.  Although all that's here is the finished boards, we submitted a design log, supporting boards/ideas and other materials.  I even make a camera strap to go along with my submission (long story, part of the marketing element).
 

 As I'm sure you can guess, I love my degree.  It's opened up a whole new creativity within me that I didn't believe I had.  It's made me far more confident and inspired my career path in ways I could only imagine a few years ago.

There are a hundred and one other things I could tell you about my degree, but then I'd be really geeking out!  However if there's anything else you'd like to know about just ask and I'll be happy to talk some more about it!  This post is wordy enough!!

The big focus of this year is obviously my undergraduate dissertation.  I've chosen to study:
'The effect of online atmospherics and visual merchandising methods on female baby boomer’s buying behaviour.'
So far it's all going well and I'm at my primary research stage.  So I can see my free time slowly but surely reducing.  I'm intending to keep sewing and blogging regardless, but I can't promise.  Also if any of you fall into the baby boomer age group (born between 1946-1964) and are able to help me out by filling in a short questionnaire in the next few weeks, shoot me an email at hazel.berryman (at) hotmail.com.
 
By the 25th June 2014 I'll be a graduate and looking to take on the fashion world.  I only hope that I find my dream job and keep being inspired by this industry I've chosen for my future.

Follow on Bloglovin

11 comments:

  1. So glad you have found a career path that intrigues and interests you Hazel! It is great to have challenging work that you love and get paid for it too (eventually - not long now for you)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nessa, I'm just hoping the perfect graduate job comes around soon!

      Delete
  2. How interesting! What a cool field of study!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is, I wish I could stay a student forever and just keep going with this course!

      Delete
  3. Your degree course sounds really interesting. I can certainly help out by doing a questionnaire so will email you soon.

    Jan (your rain jacketed customer in Mandors from the very wet east yesterday- totally unprepared for a bright sunny day in the west !)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great Jan, thank you soo much, just need to get it signed off and I'll be emailling it out! And it was lovely to meet you yesterday! Hope you had a good day in Glasgow :)

      Delete
  4. Great post, Hazel. I love your video - especially as I recognise all of the backdrops! Your CAD boards look great too. Good luck with the dissertation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah thanks Helen! We did want it to look very Scottish and we figured Edinburgh was the best place for that!

      Delete
  5. Thank you for telling us a bit about your degree. I always so curious about degrees in Fashion because I am a Liberal Studies major. I enjoy reading your blog and have nominated you for the Liebster Award for fabulous beginning bloggers. To accept your award and see what it is all about check out my blog post... http://sarahkatecreations.wordpress.com/2014/02/18/the-liebster-award-discover-new-blogs/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the award Sarah! I've received a Liebster before so will do a post answering your questions soon! :)

      Delete

Hi thanks for reading, I always love hearing from my readers so leave me a comment and I'll reply as soon as I can! :)